SAPP GKB TWU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SAPP GKB TWU

A forum by Tawau district GKB

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
OrenZai
OrenZai

Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Empty
PostSubject: Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased   Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Let's have a discussion on this article extracted from the STar :-

Sunday, 04 May 2008
(The Star) - There is no need to increase the enrolment of non-bumiputra students in government residential schools, said Education Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein.
He said it was difficult to produce a formula that could please everyone and that the present arrangement would remain.

“If we talk about residential schools, then people will start talking about the exclusivity of the religious schools and the SJKC and SJKT schools.
“I, for one, am happy with the diversity as this is our strength ... we should celebrate this diversity,” he said after visiting SM Sains Tuanku Ja’afar near here.

Hishammuddin was asked if more non-bumiputras should be allowed to study in residential schools which normally did better that normal schools in the academic field.

Of the country’s 54 residential schools, only the Mara Junior Colleges reserved 10% of its seats for non-bumiputra students.

Hishammuddin said what was more important was that all schools taught the same values to all students so that they could continue to live in harmony and be tolerant.

“We must tell our children that although we are of different races, we are still Malaysians. As long as we can do this, I don’t see why we cannot continue with the present system,” he said.

The following are the comments from surfers also copied for your guidelines :-

written by temenggong, May 04, 2008 | 12:41:31
There should be no schools that is race or quota based.
If more parents send their children to resident schools, then we should simply built more residential schools to meet the demand!

written by Jan, May 04, 2008 | 12:46:44
Hishamuddin said: “If we talk about residential schools, then people will start talking about the exclusivity of the religious schools and the SJKC and SJKT schools....
--------------------
For your info vernacular schools have never been exclusive. Ask the more than 60000 Malay students who are now studying in Chinese schools. In fact they are more than welcome.

written by Kcc, May 04, 2008 | 13:23:15
- there's NO NEED to have a quoto system in education.
Having a quota system benefits those who do not have the skills and knowledge to be in the university or other educational institution. It doesn't encourage diligent work and studies in order to perform because students know that they will still make it to top notch schools or universities.
If we want our future generations to consist of thinkers and creative minds to compete with other nations, and to bring Malaysia to greater heights, do away with quota. Let them compete, let them be the best on their own accord.

written by whiteheart, May 04, 2008 | 13:48:37
I was the top SPM and STPM scorer in SM Sains Tuanku Jaafar. Ironically, I was rejected entrance into any local universities.When I inquired the relevant authourity, I was told the Universities reserved the right to reject anybody without giving any reason. It it because I am not a Bumiputra? Anyway that was a blessing in disguise as today my degree from NUS is recognised internationally unlike local degrees.

My point is that non-Bumiputra need not go to a residential school to excel. Also, it is irrelevant for Non-Bumis quota to be increased as their future are not guaranteed in the residential school. Speaking from experience, the residential schools harbour a secret agenda of the BN government. The students in these schools are indoctrinated with ideas of Malay supremacy and affirmative discrimation are encouraged. Only the smartest and brightest non-Bumis selected throughout the country are accepted into these schools for 2 purposes only; one, to guide and serve as benchmark for the other students. Two, as an object of discrimination training to show that even the brightest non-Bumis can be easily subdued and bullied with impunity in this country. With this agenda, any increase in quota for non-Bumis will defeat the purpose of these schools existence.

However, to be fair, some of the Bumi students are really bright and grew up to be upright citizens who dare speaks against the BN atrocities.

written by Gasman, May 04, 2008 | 15:10:23
What warped logic!
You mean just by reminding the students that we are multi racial and teaching the same values, then everything will be OK.
Mr Kerismuddin, you are wrong.

WE have never been so divided especially among the students in schools and varsities because of these racial policies.
Why not let the students enjoy the experiences of living with other races in the hostel and just maybe they will learn to respect and be less suspicious of each other.
How can you say the system has worked for so many years? It has not.Why not trying mixing the different racial groups together and see whether it will work better?

written by agkamarul, May 04, 2008 | 15:17:55
Dear Sir,

As a former student of a fully-residential school I wholeheartedly support any move to increase the quota of non-bumi students. I spent 3 years from Form 1 till Form 3 in a residential school and my whole world revolved around Bumiputra students. I had a hard time adjusting with my fellow non-bumis after I left the school.

The way I see it, it is very dangerous and most definitely to the disadvantage of the sudents if they are not assimilated into the mainstream world of multi-ethnicity. Let us not have bright, highly educated students who are bigots and cannot live alongside other races.

written by Jan, May 04, 2008 | 15:34:02
Whiteheart,
It's not a question of whether non bumis want to be admitted to residential schools. The question is why there's racial discrimination in the first place. This discrimination is not doing any good to the country much less to the Malays themselves. Why carry on a policy when it's proven to be bad. A generation of non bumiputras have been hurt by this policy and the country's progress was slowed down considerably. Millions are affected by the actions of a few.

written by vheddoque, May 04, 2008 | 17:33:48
I was one of only 2 non-Malay (as there was another non-Malay Bumiputra student) in my batch in one of the premier Sekolah Sains in the country.

I was 'colour blind' when I started Form 1 there & I assimilated very well with my mates there. I became very fluent in Malay (with some varying command of the varius loghats as well) & also the customs. I lived, studied, played, fought, cried, partied, grew up with my Malay mates; some of whom are still pretty close today.

However, some of the worst racist slogans/indoctrinations were conducted by the teaching staff there (including the principal & especially the guru agam/uztadz). I was shocked when I first experienced them, as most of my Malay schoolmates were as well, being 'colour-blind' themselves.

This agenda has been going on for more than 30 years in the residential school system. I must say that I was lucky to have experienced residential school life & have made life-long friends from there. Nevertheless, none of the non-Bumi students there (that I know of) ever gotten any JPA scholarship for their uni & many took up S'pore's ASEAN scholarships instead.

written by Jan, May 04, 2008 | 17:33:56
Chinese schools welcome Malay brothers and sisters into their schools with open arms.

Belia, what do you say on this ?
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/i1019k
C0l0url3ss p0t4t0

C0l0url3ss p0t4t0

PostSubject: Re: Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased   Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm

In 1980, education quota was introduced as part of the National Economic Policy.[31]
Mahathir who became the acting prime minister, introduced the quota
system to all economic sectors in Malaysia including the education
system, whereby a designated percentage of undergraduate seats of
higher institutions were reserved for Bumiputra (natives) citizens.

Extracted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahathir_bin_Mohamad#Major_constitutional_changes

Ok. I hate quota... tell u all frankly...

I'd once ask my teacher, why the MOE wants to create this law?

She told me a story...

Dr. Mahathir once wrote a book, named The Malay Dilema. At the time of publication, Mahathir had been expelled from the ruling party UMNO and Malaysia had recently been rocked by the racial riots later known as the May 13th Incident. The book analyzes Malaysian history and politics in terms of race, and posits the following basic positions:

The "dilemma", thus, was whether Malays should accept this governmental aid — and Mahathir's position was that they should.

Why?
I cannot say much here... If we want to know the reason, maybe we should study the book first...

Read this->
http://www.geocities.com/benign0/agr-disagr/17-1-newmalay.html
maybe u will figure out something...
Back to top Go down
http://flyingw3ngs.blogspot.com
OrenZai
OrenZai

PostSubject: Re: Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased   Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:25 am

nice colourless... thts a really good research + reply! thumbs up for u...

cheers...
Back to top Go down
http://profiles.friendster.com/i1019k
C0l0url3ss p0t4t0

C0l0url3ss p0t4t0

PostSubject: Re: Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased   Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks kirk... Btw, it's also one of the reasons why all m'sia's universities fall out from the 100th world universities list...lol!
Back to top Go down
http://flyingw3ngs.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased   Non-bumi quota in residential schools won’t be increased Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SAPP GKB TWU :: GKB Anouncement :: Current Issues-
Jump to: